Nick has worked in the infrastructure sector since the mid-1990s when he was part of the team that privatised the UK’s rolling stock leasing companies. Since then he has focused in the transport and equipment sectors acting as financial advisor, arranger and financial equity sponsor. He has acted on behalf of both the public and private sectors which has given him important insights into the key drivers which ensure projects can be bid and delivered such that they meet all stakeholders needs.
Over recent years he has focussed on establishing Rock’s rail leasing business, using his experience of the sector and funding to develop a more competitive funding structure and build a successful business which funds and will lease over 1,500 vehicles in the UK.
Prior to joining Rock Infrastructure in August 2012 he was at Amber Infrastructure, (manager and advisor to a number of infrastructure funds, including International Public Partnerships, “INPP”), Babcock & Brown, Societe Generale and Hambros Bank.
- Rock Rail West Coast – part of the team that led the >£350m funding of 135 new Hitachi electric and bi-mode vehicles for use on the West Coast Partnership franchise.
- Rock Rail East Midlands – supported Rock’s successful bid for the £400m financing of a new 165 vehicle fleet of Hitachi intercity bi-mode trains. This transformative transaction was closed within a remarkable 22 days of Rock being appointed preferred funder.
- Intercity Express Programme – Agility Trains West – Nick supported the Rock/Dalmore/Equitix/JII consortium in acquiring a total 45% stake in Agility Trains West, owners of the rolling stock that formed the first phase of the IEP.
- Rock Rail East Anglia – led the structuring and financing of the funding of a fleet of 378 new electric and bi mode trains manufactured by Stadler and leased to Greater Anglia. This financing incorporated the EIB – the first time the EIB has participated in a UK rolling stock transaction without government guarantees and was closed in the volatile markets after the Brexit vote.
- Rock Rail Moorgate – led the structuring and financing of the funding of a fleet of 150 new electric multiple units to be manufactured by Siemens and leased to Govia Thameslink Railways. This was a highly competitive bid, closed in 35 days from preferred bidder.
- Privatisation of UK’s rolling stock leasing companies – Financial Advisor to the UK Department of Transport
- South Hants and Nottingham light rail schemes – Financial Advisor to Siemens
- Intercity Express Procurement, UK rolling stock concession – Equity investor/sponsor on behalf of Babcock & Brown and Financial Advisor to consortium of Siemens, Bombardier, Angel Trains and Babcock & Brown
- Thameslink UK rolling stock performance based lease– Commercial advisor and equity investor/sponsor on behalf of INPP in the Bombardier led consortium
- Diabolo Northern rail infrastructure PPP – Equity investor/sponsor and joint Financial Advisor to the first PPP in Belgium
- Gold Coast light rail PPP – Provision of Financial Equity on behalf of INPP in this availability based PPP
- UK shadow toll road DBFO – Financial Advisor to the UK Highways Agency Tranche 2 and M40 DBFO schemes
- Portugese shadow toll DBFO programme – Joint Financial Advisor to the Portugese Road Agency
- UK Ministry of Defence helicopter simulator training facility – Financial Advisor to the winning consortium, CAE, Serco and HSBC
- UK Ministry of Defence Field Electrical Power supplies – Financial Advisor to Rolls Royce, winning bidder
- UK Ministry of Defence Construction vehicles – Financial Advisor to the winning consortium of Amey and Lex
- UK school PFIs – acquisition of UK government interests in the Building Schools for the Future programme on behalf of INPP and acquisition of Carillion’s direct interests in this programme.